Saturday, May 9, 2009

Finally done

IMG_0307

Build list

A very special La Cruz frame
Avid BB7 w 160mm rotors
Salsa Semi 29er Disc rims w Chris King hubs
Shimano Dura Ace rear mech (from parts bin)
Shimano Ultegra front mech (from parts bin)
Stronglight Pulsion carbon crank (from parts bin)
FSA Platinum Pro Ti BB (from parts bin)
Chris King solto voce headset
Thomson Elite seatpost
Specialized Rival SL seat
Specialized bars and stem
Shimano 105 brifters
Schwalbe Marathon Extreme 40mm tires (not pictured)

I haven't weighed it yet. Might see if I can track a scale down over the next day or two.

After a short ride last night, my initial impressions of the bike are positive. The BB7 brakes will take a couple of rides to get bedded in. My biggest disappointment is the Shimano brifters. After using the Campagnolo Chorus on my Paramount, the 105s feel like a large step backward in terms of refinement. The front shifting mechanism feels fairly clunky and unrefined, and I really miss the micro-adjustment. I went with the Shimanos to avoid having to use a JTEK shiftmate hanging off the back. I guess there is something to be said for Italian design after all.

I'll be riding it a lot this next week so I can get my fit dialed in for the Almanzo 100 next weekend. Hopefully the Marathon tires show up early next week so I can get them installed before the race.

3 comments:

Joe said...

That's HAWT!!!!

Courtney Hilton said...

Sweet.. But you know once you've left Shimanno you'll never come back. btw I have a scale if you need to weigh it.

Ari said...

that is a cool bike. I bought a la cruz frame at frostbike and am waiting on a fork from Rick Hunter. I also rode the transiowa and had similar problems. Nutrition, cramps. The only thing that worked well was my bike and my head. Hope to ride again next year. good luck on your races!
Ari Andonopoulos
Sycamore,IL.