Sunday, October 5, 2008

Public Service Message



I should not be posting this right now. I should be in the hospital, fighting for my life.

Between the skill of an unknown driver, my ears, and a now very large loan from the karma pool, I avoided turning left in front of the pickup truck that was passing me. I didn't hear him coming behind me due to the wind, and I didn't see him coming behind me because *I* didn't take the time to look over my shoulder before I turned left. I'm not sure why I didn't look. Laziness? Too used to hear vehicles coming behind me on gravel? I'll can honestly say that I don't know. I do know I was more concerned about making sure the car on the gravel road to the left saw me than I was someone passing me. I do know that I froze for a second and then swerved away from the turning once I saw the truck. I do know that the truck missed me by less than a foot. I do know that if I wasn't able to type this right now, it would be entirely my fault.

Wear a mirror, put a mirror on your bike, look over your shoulder, or don't. If nothing else, look behind you before you turn, even if you are in the middle of no where.

No comments: