Friday, February 6, 2009

Down but not out

Decided to drive into work Friday since I was running a bit late, and I wanted to give the legs a break before riding to BRR tomorrow. Got out of my truck and walked into the office and *BAM*, down on a patch of ice on the sidewalk. Felt something from my calf up into my thigh as I went down. I waited a minute to get up, and then hobbled my way to my desk. Some ice during the morning, and a visit to Cindy at Hands On Sports Massage over lunch for some immediate relief and a suggested course of action. That turned out to be ice, ibuprofen, generous applications of Trameel, and no biking for me this weekend. Needless to say, I'm not happy right now. Had I ridden into work, this wouldn't have happened. The oddness of the situation is not lost on me. I'm not happy about it, but there's not a lot I can do other than taking it easy, let the swelling around my knee go away, and then ease back into things. I might be riding with a knee brace for a while, but I'm going to be riding as soon as I can so I can keep the joint loose. If it's not better by Monday, I'll like have to see a physician since it happened on company property.

So, rather than riding to Perry (or driving there and drinking a bunch) I spent today working on my bikes. I drove over to the shop to pick up cables, housing and chain lube, then set the work stand in the driveway, cracked open a beer and went to work. I cleaned the winter dirt and grime off of the Karate Monkey and then stripped the handle bars, controls and cables off for it's drop bar transformation. I cleaned all of the crud off of my cross bike, then re-tensioned, cleaned and lubed the chain. Last, I removed the interruptor bars off my LHT and ran new brake housing out of the levers. Afterwards, I rewrapped the leather tape around the bars and then finished the tape off with some twine.

IMG_1286.JPG

1 comment:

Jason T. Nunemaker said...

Sorry to hear about the owie -- at least you didn't do something dumb like break your leg! ;-)

Great minds think alike. I was working on the bikes instead of riding today too, although I have no excuse other than laziness. Hit my blog if you want to bask in the shininess of my new bike bling.