Sunday, March 2, 2008

Spring is here (for a day)

Woke up this morning at 7:30 AM to a temp of 44 degrees. This was good as it meant that yesterday's melt didn't freeze overnight. Snagged some breakfast, got dressed and loaded up the single speed to head over to meet a small group for a ride on the south side of town. As soon as I went outside, I realized that I was overdressed and went back in to change out my windbreaker for something a bit lighter. Met Rick, Pat and Gabrielle, along with Squirrel and Teri Sue over at Ricks for a 30-ish mile easy ride. It was sloppy and somewhat hilly for most of the ride. (at least it was hilly for around here). Squirrel and I were the only ones on single speeds, and it didn't take long for me to figure out that I probably shouldn't be pushing a 46x17 this time of year. Time to track down a smaller front chainring for sure. Rode the hills through the big houses at Moffit Lake and then headed back for home. Stopped for a beverage, and came back outside to temps nearing 60. Off came the wind breaker, pulled the tights up to my knees and enjoyed the sunny goodness for the rest of the ride home. Rest of the ride was uneventful other than a stop to fix a slow leak in my rear tire. Snagged something to eat on the way home as I was quite close to a bonk. Showered, then took a nice hour-ish nap in my big leather chair. Rained the rest of the afternoon, and we're supposed to have 2 - 4" of snow on the ground by tomorrow morning. Ugh. :(

I need knickers or leg and arm warmers as part of my clothing selection for sure. I'll have to look for a smaller chainring this week as well.

No comments: